Lushui Trail Partially Open
- Tianxiang Service Station
- Trail Level
- Scenic Trail
- 410 m
- The length of the trail
- 2000 m
- Needed Time
- About an hour
- 1. This trail is located in the natural wildness area. It is rich in ecology. Please pay attention to safety.
2. There is a 30 meters long tunnel in the middle of the trail. Please hold onto the rock wall and pass slowly.
3. The water is running swiftly. Swimming and river tracing is prohibited.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code
An earthquake occurred on April 18, 2019, resulting in the partial closure of the Lushui Trail. Lushui trailhead is open to 500 meters, and the Heliu trailhead is accessible to the Commemorating Spirits Monument. Please double back and return via the same route.
Lüshui Trail used to be a part of the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road. Because this part of the old trail was in good condition and possesses a rich landscape and ecosystem, National Park Headquarters designed a trail out of it. The trail is approximately 2m in width, which is about the same as the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road’s width during the Japanese colonial period. The entire route is level and easy to travel, making it a scenic trail suitable for the whole family.
The trailhead is located next to Lüshui Geological Exhibition Hall. The trail features dense forests, cliffs, lithophytes (plants growing on rocks), and historic relics.
Lüshui used to be home to the Tuoyouen Clan of the Truku people. Meanwhile, the current Lushui Geological Exhibition Hall used to house Hualien County Taroko Scenic Area Administration Office, Taroko National Park Headquarters, and Sub-Taroko Division, Ninth Division, The Seventh Special Police Corps office in the early days. Normally, Lüshui Trail starts from Lüshui Geological Exhibition Hall, with the later part of the trail connecting to the gravel path, and ends near Heliu campground.
Visitors generally start on the Lushui Trail from the trailhead that begins from the Lushui geological exhibition hall and comes out on the Central Cross-Island Highway just across from the Heliu Campground. The last 300 meters or so of this circuit will be along the highway back to the Lushui geological exhibition hall. (Due to the serious rockfalls damages at the cliff section so the trail will not be able to complete in a circuit.)
Lüshui Trail used to be a part of the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road. About 300 years ago, when the Truku people crossed Central Mountain Range and started residing along Liwu River, they traversed via the tribal roads among tribal villages, which formed the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road.
The Truku War initiated by Japan was a series of attacks against the Truku people along the tribal roads. After the War, the Japanese continued to maintain the roads and established army and police outposts as well as education facilities along the trail in an attempt to control the Taroko region.
In 1927, Taroko was selected as one of Taiwan’s “Eight Scenic Treasures”. In 1932, Karenko Prefecture and Taichung Prefecture started to survey the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road. In February, 1935, the road from Karenko Prefecture to Taichung Prefecture’s Wushe was finally open to traffic and renamed Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road.
The section from Heliu to Lüshui was renovated by Taroko National Park Headquarters into Lüshui Trail, which has preserved most of the historic trail.
Lushui Geological Exhibition Hall Introduction
This trailhead is next to the Lushui Geological Exhibition Hall. You can visit the exhibition hall before setting out for Lushui trail,
There are eleven exhibits in this hall: a history of the earth’s evolution, the age of geology, tectonics: the creation of plates, the face of the land, a geologic history of the Liwu River Basin, geologic terraces, the formation of a gorge, the changes of stones, cliffs, gold dust in the region, and the formation of Taiwan.
The Short Suspension Bridge
A Short Tunnel
Notice for visitors :
This tunnel is 30 meters long. After a turn, you will see the natural light. Please walk slowly and take care. A flash light is recommended.
The Cliff Section
Commemorating Spirits Monument
The Gravels Path
2. From Xincheng Train Station: Take Buses #302, #1133, or #1133A, and alight at Lushui.
3. From Tianxiang: Take Buses #302, #1126, #1133, #1133A, or #1141 (all bound for Hualien or Xincheng), and alight at Lushui.