Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail Open
Updated：2021-01-28 Viewing Count19k
- Buluowan Service Station
- Trail Level
- Scenic Trail
- 274 m
- The length of the trail
- 1372 m
- Needed Time
- About 10-30 minutes
- 1. Visitors should wear a safety helmet, and pay attention to their safety when entering the trail.
2. The road is narrow and often used by large vehicles, so please be extremely careful of surrounding traffic.
3. The river has a strong current and many whirlpools, so swimming and river tracing is prohibited.
4. For the safety of visitors, depending on varying conditions, Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail may have regulated access or be closed. Please check for the latest trail open conditions before planning your trip.
5. Please borrow a free hard hat (helmet) at Xipan check in/check out Service Station at 179.3km on Provincial Highway 8.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code
Starting at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) on the Central Cross-Island Highway, the Liwu River Gorge narrows until Cimu Bridge in the west. This is the most popular section of the gorge, and visitors can take the Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail from Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) to Jinheng Bridge, enjoying views of the gorge, potholes in the rock, springs, and the "Chieftain Profile Rock".
As of early 2005 the Yanzikou (Swallow Grotto) Trail was separated from the highway by a simple concrete divider. The road was narrow, resulting in frequent congestion in the area. Consequently, the Park Administration set about building a two-lane tunnel for vehicular traffic to let walkers enjoy the sights of this spectacular part of the gorge. There are two Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) tunnels, linked by Ludan Bridge- were completed in June 1, 2007. West-east vehicular traffic must use the tunnels. The old highway is now a pedestrian path and is also open to vehicular traffic going west (Taroko heading to Tianxiang) only that must proceed slowly. The Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail has a simple barrier separating the walkway and vehicle lane. However, as the road is narrow, please proceed carefully.
History and Culture
Jinheng Park is memorial to Jinheng, a supervisor who died during the construction of the Central Cross-Island Highway. The Park contains a bust statue in his likeness, a plaque honoring all those who died during construction, a small souvenir shop, and an observation deck outside the store from which the Indian Chieftain Rock can be best viewed. The Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) is definitely a trail featuring unique terrain, ecology, and history.
The Swallow Grotto(Yanzikou), named after the many swallows that forge and play among the rocks, formed over tens of thousands of years. Over millenia, the Liwu river sculpted marble masterpieces such as the Chieftain Profile Rock, and many hollows and potholes that pockmark the grotto. Resembling swallow' s nests, these unique formations lent further inspiration for this grotto's name.
Shop、Food and Drink、Public Restroom、Viewing Deck、Bus Station
Bicycle:The Central Cross-Island Highway begins to ascend (from Taroko heading westwards to Tianxiang) and narrows towards Swallow Grotto. As large vehicles often travel the highway, please pay extra attention to traffic safety.
Bus:1. From Hualien Station, take buses 310 or 1133 bound for Tianxiang, or Luoshao-1126 (served one bus daily) or Lishan-1141 (served one bus daily), and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou).
2. From Xincheng Station, take buses Ubus 310, Taroko Bus 302, Hualien Bus 1133 bound for Tianxiang, and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou).
3. From Tianxiang: Take Buses 302, 310, 1126, 1133, or 1141 (bound for Hualien or Xincheng), and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou).
4. Please consult News > FAQ on our website. https://www.taroko.gov.tw/en/Event/FAQ “ Transportation: Where can I purchase day passes for buses to Taroko National Park?.”
5. Bus schedules are available from #iBus Info System, and please check Route Search/ Search by Bus Operator Ubus #310, or Hualien Bus 1133, 1126, 1141, or Taroko Bus 302.
6. The bus stop is located at east trailhead of the Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail. Visitors should get on/off the bus at the east trailhead only.
Driving:Head west on the Central Cross-Island Highway (Provincial Highway 8). Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) is approx. 100 m after exiting Buluowan Tunnel. It is about 12 km/15 minutes driving from the east entrance to Taroko Gorge.