Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail Open
- Buluowan Service Station
- Trail Level
- Scenic Trail
- 274 m
- The length of the trail
- 1372 m
- Needed Time
- About 10-30 minutes
- 1. Visitors should wear a safety helmet, and pay attention to their safety when entering the trail.
2. The road is narrow and often used by large vehicles, so please be extremely careful of surrounding traffic.
3. The river has a strong current and many whirlpools, so swimming and river tracing is prohibited.
4. For the safety of visitors, depending on varying conditions, Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail may have regulated access or be closed. Please check for the latest trail open conditions before planning your trip.
5. Please borrow a free hard hat (helmet) at Xipan check in/check out Service Station at 179.3km on Provincial Highway 8.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code
Starting at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) on the Central Cross-Island Highway, the Liwu River Gorge narrows until Cimu Bridge in the west. This is the most popular section of the gorge, and visitors can take the Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail from Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) to Jinheng Bridge, enjoying views of the gorge, potholes in the rock, springs, and the "Chieftain Profile Rock".
As of early 2005 the Yanzikou (Swallow Grotto) Trail was separated from the highway by a simple concrete divider. The road was narrow, resulting in frequent congestion in the area. Consequently, the Park Administration set about building a two-lane tunnel for vehicular traffic to let walkers enjoy the sights of this spectacular part of the gorge. There are two Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) tunnels, linked by Ludan Bridge- were completed in June 1, 2007. West-east vehicular traffic must use the tunnels. The old highway is now a pedestrian path and is also open to vehicular traffic going west (Taroko heading to Tianxiang) only that must proceed slowly. The Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail has a simple barrier separating the walkway and vehicle lane. However, as the road is narrow, please proceed carefully.
History and Culture
Jinheng Park is memorial to Jinheng, a supervisor who died during the construction of the Central Cross-Island Highway. The Park contains a bust statue in his likeness, a plaque honoring all those who died during construction, a small souvenir shop, and an observation deck outside the store from which the Indian Chieftain Rock can be best viewed. The Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) is definitely a trail featuring unique terrain, ecology, and history.
The Swallow Grotto(Yanzikou), named after the many swallows that forge and play among the rocks, formed over tens of thousands of years. Over millenia, the Liwu river sculpted marble masterpieces such as the Chieftain Profile Rock, and many hollows and potholes that pockmark the grotto. Resembling swallow' nests, these unique formations lent further inspiration for this grotto's name.
Shop、Food and Drink、Public Restroom、Viewing Deck、Bus Station
Bicycle:The Central Cross-Island Highway begins to ascend (from Taroko heading westwards to Tianxiang) and narrows towards Swallow Grotto. As large vehicles often travel the highway, please pay extra attention to traffic safety.
Bus:1. Take a Hualien Bus bound for Tianxiang (#1133), Luoshao (#1126), or Lishan (#1141) or #1133A (shuttle bus between Hualien and Tianxiang), departing from Hualien station and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou).
2. Or take a 302 bus run by Taroko bus company departing from Xincheng train station. Or take a 1133A or 1133 bus run by Hualien bus company departing from Xincheng train station and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou).
3. Take a Hualien Bus # 1133A, #1133, #1126, #1141 (or take a 302 Taroko bus) departing from Taroko National Park Headquarters bound for Tianxaing, Luoshao, or Lishan and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou).
4. From Tianxiang: Take a Hualien Bus #1133A, #1133, #1126, #1141 bound for Hualien station. Or take a 302 Taroko Bus, or take a Hualien Bus #1133 or # 1133A bound for Taroko N. P. HQ and Xincheng train station and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) east trailhead. No bus stop at the west trailhead of the Swallow Grotto trail.
Driving:Head west on the Central Cross-Island Highway (Provincial Highway 8). Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) is approx. 100 m after exiting Buluowan Tunnel. It is about 12km/15 minutes driving from the east entrance to Taroko gorge.