Mt. Bilu Open
Updated：2020-03-05 Viewing Count2983
- Mt. Hehuan Service Station
- Trail Level
- Mountaineering Trail
- Permits Required
- Park Entry Permit Required
- 3371 m
- The length of the trail
- 10400 m
- Needed Time
- 8-10 hours
- 1. Hikers need to traverse the entirety of the 820 Forestry Road before reaching the trailhead of Mt. Bilu (~2.5 hours). The trail is well-marked and is not difficult to find and follow.
2. Hikers do not need a Mountain Access Permit for the trail: this policy is as of February 2020.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code
Since the completion of the 820 Forestry Road that leads from the Mt. Hehuan Tunnel directly to the trailhead, Mt. Bilu can be hiked in a single day (out-and-back). After traversing 8 km of the Forestry Road (~3 hours by foot), the trail steeply and unrelentingly ascends up the mountainside. At the Mt. Bilu trailhead, there is a small stream that hikers can obtain water, and is the only water source for the entirety of the trail. During the late spring, delicate azaleas cover the landscape surrounding the trail.
Mt. Bilu is surrounded by other well-known mountains. Traversing northwards, hikers can ascend Mt. Lingming and Mt. Wuming (North Section 2) as well as reaching Mt. Zhongyangjian and Mt. Nanhu (North Section 1) further northbound, delineating the entirety of the Central Mountain Range Grand Traverse . Note that this route is exceedingly difficult to complete.
Stop 1: 820 Forestry Road
The aptly-named 820 Forestry Road is 8.2 kilometers long, and was constructed for the extraction of forest resources.
Stop 2: Large Collapsed Valley (Dabenggu)
At the end of the 820 Forestry Road, hikers will need to bypass around a large collapsed valley before continuing onto the Mt. Bilu trail.
Bus:The entrance to the 820 Forestry Road is 300 m from the Dayuling bus stop, which is serviced by Bus 1141 (arriving at 11:45 towards Lishan; arriving at 15:54 towards Hualien Train Station).
Driving:- From Hualien and Taroko: Travel westwards along the Central Cross-Island Highway (Provincial Highway 8). Continue along Highway 8 by taking a right turn at Dayuling, into the Mt. Hehuan tunnel. The entrance to the 820 Forestry Road will be on the right immediately after passing through the tunnel (200 m).
- From Puli, Nantou (Sun Moon Lake): Travel eastwards along Provincial Highway 14 and connect towards Provincial Highway 14A (14甲) upon reaching Ren’ai Township). When you reach the end of the highway at Dayuling, take a left turn onto Provincial Highway 8 towards Lishan. Upon passing through the Mt. Hehuan tunnel, the entrance to the 820 Forestry Road will be on the right side of the road.