Mt. Hehuan West Peak Open
Updated：2020-09-30 Viewing Count2504
- Mt. Hehuan Service Station
- Trail Level
- Mountaineering Trail
- 3145 m
- The length of the trail
- 6700 m
- Needed Time
- 2 days (out-and-back)
- 1. Mt. Hehuan North Peak is en route to Mt. Hehuan West Peak. However, please note that the hike from Xiaofengkou to Mt. Hehuan West Peak and back takes roughly two days. Please exercise caution.
2. Hikers do not need a Mountain Access Permit for the trail: this policy is as of February 2020.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code
The trail entrance of Mt. Hehuan North Peak and Mt. Hehuan West Peak is located at the 37 km marker on Provincial Highway 14A (14Jia). Hikers can park at Xiaofengkou and walk from there to the trail entrance, which is easy recognizable from the information plaque. Following the ridgeline northwards, hikers can reach the Mt. Hehuan North Peak Triangulation Station in 1-1.5 hours. Further along the ridgeline towards the west, it takes a further 3 hours to reach the West Peak Triangulation Station. The first section of trail, from the trailhead to Mt. Hehuan North Peak, is steep. Rhododendrons flourish within this section and bloom between May to June every year. Trees are mostly absent, so adequate sun protection is needed in sunny weather. On the other hand, the Hehuan mountain range is particularly prone to thick fog in the afternoon. Because hikers often lose the trail near the summit of the mountain during such inclement weather, the best times to hike this trail is before noon or when the weather is good and stable.
Bus:No direct public bus can reach to Xiaofengkou.
1. From East Taiwan: From Hualien Train Station or Taroko National Park Headquarters take Hualien Bus #1141(only serviced once daily) to Lishan alight at Dayuling station. (arriving at 11:45 towards Lishan; arriving at 15:54 towards Hualien Train Station). Hualien Bus Phone Number: 03-8323485. http://www.hualienbus.com.tw/bus/userfiles/files/149999051787548.pdf
From Dayuling (at 41.7km) to the trailhead at 37km on Provincial Highway 14A(Jia) walking times requires about an hour and 30 minutes/4.7 km. Hitchhike is not uncommon.
2. From Taichung (Eastbound): A series of 3 buses connects Taichung via Songxue Lodge to Xiaofengkou. Leg 1: Taichung bus station – Puli (Nantou Buses #6670 via Taichung HSR Station (Taichung – Puli), 70 mins); Leg 2: Puli – Qingjing Farm (Nantou Bus #6658, 70 mins); Leg 3: Qingjing Farm – Xiaofengkou (Nantou Bus #6658A, 1 hr). Nantou Bus Company recommends visitors to take Bus #6670 leaving Taichung Gancheng Bus Station at 08:20 and 11:15 (Taichung HSR Station at 08:40 and 11:35 respectively) to be able to reach Songxue Lodge at 11:50 and 15:30 respectively and to the final stop at Xiaofengkou at 12:00 and 15:40 respectively. Sample itineraries are available from #iBus Info System, and please check Route Search/ Search by Bus Operator Nantou Bus #6670, #6658, and 6658A. Or #Nantou Bus Company website (Chinese version only). Please confirm the above schedules directly with Nantou Bus Company in case of any recent changes. Nantou Bus 6658A reservation telephone: +886-49-2984031 ext. #17. No bikes are allowed to the 20-sitter bus.
3. There is no lodging available at Xiaofengkou. (Mt. Hehuan Service Station) The nearest lodging is at Songxue Lodge.
Driving:The trailhead is located at the 37 km marker on Provincial Highway 14A (14 Jia). The trailhead can be reached from Taroko by taking first the Provincial Highway 8 westwards and then taking the left fork at Dayuling. The drive will take roughly 3 hours.
ParkingParking is available at Xiaofengkou (Mt. Hehuan Service Station). If the upper parking lot is full, the lower parking lot will be made available.