An economical alternative is to take the train from Taipei to Hualien. For the express Tai Lu Ge or Zi Qiang train: a ticket costs NT$ 440, for adults. It takes 2 -3 hours according to different train types.
To Taroko National Park:
The North-link Line, Station code: Taipei 100, Hualien 051, Sincheng 054
From the southern part of Taiwan:
- Taipei to Hualien
* Tai Lu Ge or Zi Qiang(express train): The price is NTD 440 / person one way. It takes 2 hrs to 3 hrs according to different train types.
* Ju Kuang: The price is NTD 340 / person one way. It takes about 3.5 to 4.5 hrs according to different train types.
- Taipei to Xincheng
* Tai Lu Ge or Zi Qiang: NTD 403 / person one way.
* Ju Kuang: NTD 311/ person one way.
- * Hualien Train Station: 886-3-8355941
- * Xincheng Train Station: 886-3-8611237
- * Kaohsiung Train Station:886-07-2352376
Related web sites
- * Train ticket information: http://www.railway.gov.tw/en/
- * Time table & ticket price: http://twtraffic.tra.gov.tw/twrail/English/e_index.aspx
- * Internet ticketing (from 0:00 to 24:00 ): http://railway.hinet.net/net_eng.htm
- * Voice ticketing (from 0:00 to 24:00 ): http://www.railway.gov.tw/en/
After reserving tickets from the website or by phone, write down the ordering code, and go to the nearest train station or Post Office to pick up your tickets. You may have to show the counter clerk your passport while getting tickets.
Xincheng train station is 5 km / 3 miles from the Park Headquarters. You can take a Hualien Bus Co bus to the Park headquarters after getting off the train in Xincheng.
Hualien train station is 26km / 15.6miles to the Park Headquarters. You may rent a car or scooter at the front train station. It takes 30 ~ 40 minutes to drive to the Park Headquarters.
You can also take a Hualien Bus Co bus to the Park Headquarters. The bus stop is to the right of Hualien Train Station exit (front station).