Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong)
Updated：2020-03-20 Viewing Count7656
- Buluowan Service Station
- Recreation Zone
- Taroko Recreation Area
- 300 m
- The trail is open west 700 meters and please take the same route back/30 minutes on foot for a round trip.
1. Rock fall might happen to this trail. For the rockfall prone section, please pass quickly.
2. No parking available at Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong) Trail. Please take a public bus.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code
The 1,220m-long Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong) Tunnel is the longest tunnel of the Central Cross-Island Highway, while the 700 meters long Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong) Trail is the best part of Taroko Gorge. The trail snuggles against the tall mountain and deep gorge. If you look down, you will see Liwu River gushing swiftly past the mountain walls facing each other so closely. You will be astonished at the craftsmanship of nature that has created these treacherous terrains.
The mountain walls near the west trailhead have numerous rock crevices extending upwards, which are so-called "faults". The faults resulted from broken and displaced rocks caused by tectonic movement. Because of the drastic orogenic movement, faults are easily seen within Taroko National Park.
Message board、Accessibile Restroom
Bicycle:The Central Cross-Island Highway begins to ascend (from Taroko heading westwards) and narrows towards Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong). As large vehicles often travel the highway, please pay extra attention to traffic safety.
Bus:1. From Hualien station: Take a Hualien Bus bound for Tianxiang (#1133), Luoshao (#1126), or Lishan (#1141) or #1133A (shuttle bus between Hualien and Tianxiang) and alight at Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong).
2. From Xincheng train station: Take a 302 Taroko Bus run by Taroko bus company or take a 1133A or 1133 Hualien Bus run by Hualien bus company bound for Tianxiang.
3. From Taroko National Park Headquarters: Take a Hualien Bus # 1133A, #1133, #1126, #1141 bound for Tianxaing, Luoshao, or Lishan (or take a 302 Taroko bus bound for Tianxiang) and alight at Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong).
4. From Tianxiang: Take a Hualien Bus #1133A, #1133, #1126, #1141 bound for Hualien. Or take a 302 Taroko Bus, or take a Hualien Bus #1133 or # 1133A bound for Taroko N. P. HQ and Xincheng train station and alight at Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong).
Driving:1. From Taroko follow the Central Cross-Island Highway (Highway 8) westward to Tunnel of Nine Turns at 173.7 km.
2. From Mt. Hehuan or Dayuling areas, follow the Central Cross-Island Highway eastwards to 168.5 km at Tianxiang. Please take a bus to Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong) (at 173.7 km).
Parking available near Tunnel of Nine Turns (Jiuqudong)
1. Heliu (at 171.4 km on Highway 8) : 5 bus parking space and 8 car parking space. (2.3km west from Jiuqudong)
2. Lushui (170.7 km on Highway 8) : 23 bus parking space and 11 car parking space. (3km west from Jiuqudong)
3. Tianxaing (168.5 km on Highway 8) : 19 bus parking space and 69 car parking space. (5.2km west from Jiuqudong)