- Tianxiang Service Station
- Recreation Zone
- Tianxiang Recreation Area
- 410 m
- 1. To protect the recreational quality of Heliu Campgound, Taroko National Park Headquarters has implemented the user-pays principle to reduce the governmental expenses on environment maintenance and manpower. An external company has been commissioned to run Heliu Campground.
2. Tianxiang Service Station phone number: 03-8691162.
3. If there is not more vacancy at Heliu Campground, please visit Lüshui Campground that is equipped with simpler facilities and free of charge.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code
Heliu campgroud, located at 170 km (15 km/25 minutes by car/30 minutes by bus from Taroko National Park Headquarters) on Provincial Highway 8, is located at the east Lüshui Trailhead, 3km away from Tianxiang. At Heliu, the Liwu and Laoxi River turn 90 degrees and Laoxi River flows into Liwu River. Therefore, Heliu (meaning "confluence" in Chinese) gained its name due to the confluence of the two rivers right here and won its status as one of Hualien‘s eight most scenic wonders.
In the neighboring area, the valley is tranquil with boundless clouds and trees, while the stones are in bizarre shapes and the trees are beautiful. Heliu Campground, is comprised of 12 wooden tent platforms (3.7*4.2 square meters), restrooms (including cold showers), and washstands, and is equipped with running water and lighting. The daily fee per wooden platfom is NT$300 and is first-come, first-served. Use of the campsite depends on your registration order during weekdays and weekends until the wooden platforms are fully booked.
For the benefit of campers: if there are four public holidays in a row (consecutively), advanced booking is required for 6 wooden platform tent spaces (each big tent= 10 persons tents, on a raised plank). Reservation should be completed 1-7 days prior to your requested date. Operation of campground is outsourced by the park. To book tent space, please call 03-8691359 (Service hours: 08:30 am -16:30 pm) The other 6 wooden platform tent space remain first-come, first-served.
The site used to be a timber distribution area. In the past, Forestry Development Office of Veterans Affairs Council (today‘s Forestry Bureau) harvested the forest on Yanhai Logging Road along the Liwu River, and transported the logs via a cableway. Then the lumber were delivered to other places via the Central Cross-Island Highway. After the logging was ceased, Taroko National Park transformed this area into a campground.
A second campground (Lushui campground), is 800 meters west of Heliu. The floor of Lushui campground is earth and grass, and the camp site offers lighting and waterstands. This campground is not equipped with tent platforms nor showers. Campers are free to use toilets of Lushui Highway History Exhibition Hall (next to the shop at the basement 1). No booking is required and use of campground is free of charge.
Lüshui Trail used to be a part of the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road. Because this part of the old trail is in good condition and possesses rich a landscape and ecosystem, National Park Headquarters designed a trail out of it. The trail is approximately 2m in width, which is about the same as Cross-Hehuan Mountain Old Road's width during the Japanese colonial period. The entire route is level and easy to traverse, making it a scenic trail suitable for the whole family.
The trailhead is located next to Lüshui Geological Exhibition Hall. The trail features dense forests, cliffs, lithophytes (plants growing on rocks), and historic relics.
2. From Xincheng station, take a Taroko Bus 302 or take a Ubus 310 bound for Tianxiang and alight at Heliu campground.
3. From Xincheng or Taroko National Park Headquarters Station, take buses (Ubus 310), or (Hualien Bus 1133) bound for Tianxiang and alight Lushui. Walk eastwards(backwards) 500 meters to Heliu campground.
4.Note: The 310 bus will make a stop at Heliu campground.
5. Please consult News > FAQ on our website. Transportation: Where can I purchase day passes for buses to Taroko National Park?.”
6. Bus schedules are available from #iBus Info System, and please check Route Search/ Search by Bus Operator Ubus #310, or Hualien Bus 1133, 1126, 1141, or Taroko Bus 302.
Heliu Campground is situated at the east entrance of Lüshui Trail, and about 16.5 km away from Taroko National Park HQ, about 2.5km away from Tianxiang.