- Tianxiang Service Station
- Recreation Zone
- Tianxiang Recreation Area
- 410 m
- 1. This area is a natural wilderness, which shelters a wide variety of wild animals and plants. Please be careful when hiking on the trail.
2. Swimming and river tracing is prohibited.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code Information Code
Established in 1992, the station is responsible for the maintenance and management of facilities from Cimu Bridge to Wenshan as well as providing information services. The recreational facilities include: Lüshui Geological Exhibition Hall, Heliu Campground, Exhibition Hall for the History of Central Cross-Island Highway Construction at Lüshui Lower Terrace, Lüshui Trail, Baiyang Trail, etc.
[Geological Exhibition Hall]
Lüshui Geological Exhibition Hall is located at Lüshui on the Cross-Island Highway near 172km and 2km away from Tianxiang. The exhibition hall consists of an exhibition space on the first floor and another on the second floor. There are 11 exhibition areas in total. The first floor exhibits the 4.6-billion-year history of the evolution of the Earth, the age of geology, plate tectonics (themes such as movement, formation and evolution of rocks.) The second floor features ‘the face of the land’ (Landscape Pictures of Taroko National Park), a geologic history of Liwu River, geologic terraces, the formation of a gorge, the changes of stones, gold dust sources in the region as well as formation and evolution of the Taiwan island.
The Lüshui river terrace consists of approximately two layers. The Geological Exhibition Hall and Lüshui trailhead are located on the upper terrace. Meanwhile, the Central Cross-Island Highway passes through the lower terrace. From the platform outside the exhibition hall, you can see Lüshui Trail chiseled out of the surface of the cliff. On the lower floor of the exhibition hall, you can find a lookout platform and a shop offering simple meals.
[Yue Wang Pavilion]
A pavilion called “Yue Wang Pavilion” with blue rooftop and white pillars right overlooks the Liwu River, situated on a highland 500m to the east of Lüshui. Across from Yue Wang Pavilion, a gorgeous waterfall cascades down into Liwu River. A suspension bridge spans Liwu River and leads to Yanhai Logging Road, an early passage for loggers. Located at high location, Yue Wang Pavilion is a perfect spot for overlooking Liwu Valley.
Lüshui Trail used to be a part of the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road. Because this part of the old trail was in good condition and possesses a rich landscape and ecosystem, National Park Headquarters designed a trail out of it. The trail is approximately 2m in width, which is about the same as the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road’s width during the Japanese colonial period. The entire route is level and easy to travel, making it a scenic trail suitable for the whole family.
The trailhead is located next to Lüshui Geological Exhibition Hall. The trail features dense forests, cliffs, lithophytes (plants growing on rocks), and historic relics.
Lüshui Trail: Lüshui used to be home to the Tuoyouen Clan of the Truku people. Meanwhile, the current Geological Exhibition Hall used to house Hualien County Taroko Scenic Area Administration Office, Taroko National Park Headquarters, and Taroko Police Corps Office in the early days. Normally, Lüshui Trail starts from Lüshui Geological Exhibition Hall, with the later part of the trail connecting to the gravel path, and ends near Heliu campground.
Lüshui Trail used to be a part of the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road. About 300 years ago, when the Truku people crossed Central Mountain Range and started residing along Liwu River, they traversed via the tribal roads among tribal villages, which formed the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road.
The Truku War initiated by Japan was a series of attacks against the Truku people along the tribal roads. After the War, the Japanese continued to maintain the roads and established army and police outposts as well as education facilities along the trail in an attempt to control the Taroko region.
In 1927, Taroko was selected as one of Taiwan’s “Eight Scenic Treasures”. In 1932, Karenko Prefecture and Taichung Prefecture started to survey the Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road. In February, 1935, the road from Karenko Prefecture to Taichung Prefecture’s Wushe was finally open to traffic and renamed Cross-Hehuan Mountain Road.
The section from Heliu to Lüshui was renovated by Taroko National Park Headquarters into Lüshui Trail, which has preserved most of the historic trail.
Shop、Food and Drink、Public Restroom、Phone、Parking Lot
Bicycle:As many big vehicles pass through the neighboring roads, please pay extra attention to the traffic safety.
Bus:1. From Hualien station, take Hualien Bus 1133A, or 1133 bound for Tianxiang, Luoshao-1126, or Lishan-1141, and alight at Lüshui.
2. From Xincheng or Taroko National Park Headquarters station take Taroko Bus 302 bound for Tianxiang and alight at Lüshui.
3. From Xincheng or Taroko National Park Headquarters station take Hualien Bus 1133A, or 1133 bound for Tianxiang and alight at Lüshui.
Driving:To get to Lüshui, drive westbound from Taroko via Central Cross-Island Highway for about 17km. You can also park your car at the Lüshui Geological Exhibition Hall parking lot and walk around 300m back to Lüshui along Central Cross-Island Highway after hiking on the trail.