Yanzikou (Swallow Grotto) Trail
- Buluowan Service Station
- Recreation Zone
- Buluowan Recreation Area
- 274 m
- There are often falling rocks on this part of the road due to the tall rock walls. Currently, the Swallow Grotto Trail only opens traffic bound for west (Tianxiang). Parking is not available at the east trailhead.
Please wear a hard hat(helmet) or other protective gear on the park trails, such as Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail. Hard hats(helmet) can be borrowed free of charge at 179.3 km on the Provincial Highway 8 (Central Cross-Island Highway) at Xipan check-in/out Helmet Service Station.
- QR Code
- Geographic Code
Following the Central Cross-Island Highway, at Yanzikou (Swallow Grotto) the rock cliffs of the Liwu River gorge seem to reach to heaven while the river runs its swiftest and the distance between the gorge walls so narrow that they almost seem to touch each other.
Along the Yanzikou (Swallow Grotto) trail which runs about a half kilometer starting from the entrance to Swallow Grotto to the Jinheng Bridge, you can enjoy the sights of the Liwu River from nearly straight above the water, the potholes on the cliff faces, the springs sprinkled along the lower parts of the walls, as well as the famous rock formation "Chieftain's profile rock".
As of early 2005 the Yanzikou (Swallow Grotto) Trail was separated from the highway by a simple concrete divider. The road was narrow, resulting in frequent congestion in the area. Consequently, the Park Administration set about building a two-lane tunnel for vehicular traffic to let walkers enjoy the sights of this spectacular part of the gorge uninterrupted by cars and buses. There are two Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) tunnels, linked by Ludan Bridge- were completed in June 1, 2007. West-east vehicular traffic must use the tunnels. The old highway is now a pedestrian path and is also open to vehicular traffic going west (Taroko heading to Tianxiang) only that must proceed slowly.
2. From Xincheng Station, take buses- Ubus 310, or Taroko Bus 302 or Hualien Bus 1133 bound for Tianxiang, and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou).
3. From Tianxiang: Take buses 310, 1133 bound for Hualien or Xincheng or 302 bound for Xincheng train staiton, or take buses 1126, 1133, or 1141 bound for Hualien, and alight at Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou).
4. Please consult News > FAQ on our website. https://www.taroko.gov.tw/en/Event/FAQ “ Transportation: Where can I purchase day passes for buses to Taroko National Park?.”
5. Bus schedules are available from #iBus Info System, and please check Route Search/ Search by Bus Operator Ubus #310, or Hualien Bus 1133, 1126, 1141, or Taroko Bus 302.
6. The bus stop is located at east trailhead of the Swallow Grotto (Yanzikou) Trail. Visitors should get on/off the bus at the east trailhead only.