- Here are two recommended routes:
A. Gorge + Trails
Visitor Center (at Taroko National Park Headquarters)---1km --- Shakadang Trail (because of the time limit, please return around 1.5km at Wujianwu, 5D Cabin) -- 8.5km --- Buluowan Service Station --- 2.5km --- Swallow Grotto trail ---11km ---Tianxiang --- (return) --- 5km --- Tunnel of Nine Turns Trail --11km-- Eternal Spring Shrine --- 2.3km --- Entrance of Taroko
Note 1: Because of the time limit, visitors may choose from one the following trails: Xiaozhui Trail, Shakadang Trail (return at Wujianwu, 5D Cabin about 1.5km one way/ 3km for a round trip/ an hour hike), Swallow Grotto trail, Lushui Trail, and Baiyang Trail.
Note 2: The most magnificent section of the Gorge is from the Swallow Grotto to Cimu Bridge, visitors may want to get out of their car and appreciate the beauty while walking. The Swallow Grotto trail -(1.38km/30 minutes walk one way) is the must-see trail.
B. Taroko Marble Gorge + Qingshui Cliff
Visitor Center (at Taroko National Park Headquarters)--10km -- Buluowan Service Station --- 2.5km --- Swallow Grotto trail --- 10km --- Tianxiang --- (return) --- 5km --- Tunnel of Nine Turns Trail--- 10km --- Eternal Spring Shrine --- 2.3km --- Entrance of Taroko --- 12km --- Chongde Tunnel North Opening observation platform(viewing Qinshui Cliff) on the Su-hua Highway(Hwy. No. 9)
Note 1: Due to the specific landforms in this area, it is usually cloudy or raining in the afternoons. Taroko looks quite different in the rain. Those who do not wish to get wet should arrive earlier in the morning.
Note 2: Roads & trails are often closed because of earthquakes, heavy rains, or typhoons. for the latest trails and road conditions.
For the latest park trail or highway opening conditions, call the Visitor Center or please check our website before your trip. Please click our website English/ News /Road & Trail /check scenic trails , hiking trails, or mountaineering trails.
- Traveling in Taroko by Bus:
Half day or one day trip:
1. Hualien (bus) --- park Headquarters Visitor Center (walk) --- 0.7-Xaozhuilu Trail --- 650m --- Shakadang Trailhead to 5D Cabin (1.5km one way/ 3km a round trip)--- (return) ---Shakadang trailhead --- 1km --- Park HQ Visitor Center
2. Hualien (bus) --- Visitor Center (walk) --- 2.3km ---Eternal Spring Shrine Trail (2.3 km / an hour hike)--- (return)
3. Hualien (bus) --- Tianxiang (walk)--- 700m--- Baiyang Trail (4.2km a round trip/ 2hr )--- (return) Sightseeing on bus along the Central Cross-Island Highway
4. Hualien (bus) --- Lushui Trail (2km/an hour walk) ---2km/30minutes on foot --- Tianxiang --- (return) Sightseeing on bus along the Central Cross-Island Highway
5. Hualien (bus) --- Baiyang Trail (4.2km a round trip/ 2 hr walk) ---700 meters--- Tianxiang --- (return) Sightseeing on bus along the Central Cross-Island Highway.
Option 1: Hualien bus 1133A
Hualien bus Company has buses running along the Central Cross-Island Highway on a regular basis. Visitors can also join local tours provided by travel agencies. (The Hualien County Tourism Website is: http://tour-hualien.hl.gov.tw/ Hualien Bus timetalbe is available on our website. Please click English/visitor Info/ transportation/ Hualien Bus timetable/ download the shuttle bus and lockal bus schedule (a day package ticket costs NT$250; A two-day package shuttle bus ticket costs NT$400. Buy the package ticket at Hualien bus company service counter at Hualien East railway station- an orange building to the left square. Please get a latest bus schedule at the service counter in case of any changes.) Please consider to take Hualien bus No. 1126, No.1133, No.1141 or taking Taroko Route shuttle bus. One can start from Hualien train station via the park headquarters then to the final destination Tianxiang. The last bus is 18:00 at Tianxiang heading back to Hualien train station.
Option 2: Taroko 302 Bus depart from Xincheng railway station bond for Tianxaing (or 1133A Bus is also available at Xincheng railway station.)
You could choose to take Taroko 302 Bus run by Taroko Bus company. 12 buses daily served between Xincheng railway station and Tianxiang. A daily package ticket is available from the bus driver by paid of exactly cash only. No changes will be provided. Passengers are allowed to use Easy card, or i-cash, or i-pass to pay the above mentioned two bus companies' bus fare.
It is 26 km/an hour by bus(40 miuntes by car) from Hualien train station to the park headquarters. It is about 16km/20 minutes by car from Hualien airport to the park headquarters. The nearest train station to Taroko National Park Headquarters is Xincheng railway station. It is about 8 minutes by car. The shuttle bus will make a stop at Xincheng railway station then via the park headquarters to Taroko gorge(the final destination at Tianxiang). Visitors if taking a train from Taipei to Hualien, there are more trains to Hualien. Less trains will stop at Xincheng railway station if one takes a train from Taipei to Xincheng railway station. Please get to the park headquarters-Taroko visitor center requested the latest trail and highway opening conditions. Then tour the best 19 km Taroko gorge section from Taroko to Tianxiang. One can choose to stop by scenic spots or hiking trails.
Or above tour suggestions 1-5, one can be taking a taxi at Hualien train station to tour Taroko gorge. A day taxi prices can be different from NT$2500-3500 or more. The price depends on the number of passengers for hiring a taxi.
- Places to Stay within the Park area:
1. Taroko area (0.7-1.2 km south of the Park Headquarters):
Taroko Hotel (太魯閣旅店) | +886 (0)3-861-1558
Li-Wu Hotel (立霧客棧旅館) | +886 (0)3-861-0660
Taroko Red Dragonfly B&B (太魯閣紅瑛民宿) | +886 (0)3-861-0577
2. Buluowan (300 m a.s.l. | 10 km (15 mins by car) west of the Park Headquarters):
Taroko Village Hotel 太魯閣山月村 | +886 (0)3-861-0111
3. Tianxiang (480 m a.s.l. | 19 km (30 mins by car) west of the Park Headquarters):
Silks Place Taroko [5-star hotel] (太魯閣晶英酒店) | +886 (0)3-869-1155
Tianxiang Youth Activity Center (太魯閣天祥青年活動中心) | +886 (0)3-869-1111
Tianxiang Presbyterian Protestant Church & Hostel (天祥基督教會招待所) | +886 (0)3-869-1203
Taroko Tianxiang B&B (太魯閣天祥民宿) | +886 (0)963-356-885
4. Guyuan (600 m a.s.l. | 22 km ( 35 mins by car) west of the Park Headquarters):
Guyuan Garden (雲莊谷園) | +886 (0)3-869-1205
5. Guanyuan (2327 m a.s.l. | 75km (2 hrs by car) west of the Park Headquarters):
CYC Guanyuan Hostel (救國團觀雲山莊) | +886 (0)4-2599-1173
6. Mt. Hehuan area (3150 m a.s.l. | 95 km (3 hrs by car) west of the Park Headquarters):
Songxue Lodge (松雪樓) | +886 (0)4-9280-2980
Places to Stay in Hualien City (non-exhaustive list):
Farglory Hotel [next to the Water Park] (花蓮遠雄悅來大飯店) | +886 (0)3-812-3900
Chateau de Chine [5-star hotel] (花蓮翰品酒店) | +886 (0)3 823-5388
Parkview Hotel (美侖大飯店) | +886 (0)3-822-2111
Astar Hotel (花蓮亞士都飯店) | +886(0)3-832-6111
For more lodging information, please consult the Hualien County Government website: http://huatour.hl.gov.tw/en/Hotel/Default.aspx
- Interpretation service system can be divided into interpretation activities and interpretation facilities:
1. Tourist information:
Park rangers will answer tourists’ various questions at information desks in the Headquarters Visitor Center and at all service stations.
2. Interpretation and guide service:
Park rangers will interpret in exhibition halls and guide tourists through the videos shown in multi-media briefing rooms.
3. Guiding in groups:
Park rangers will guide groups of tourists in the Park with detailed interpretation.
See our website interpretation Service Online Application for details:https://www.taroko.gov.tw/en/OnlineApplication/NarratorReservation
1. Exhibition halls:
Exhibition halls are set within Taroko National Park Headquarters Visitor Center, Buluowan Service Station, Lushui Geological Exhibition Hall, Tianxiang Service Station, and Mt. Hehuan Service Station. With maps, signs, films and specimens, exhibition halls provide tourists with a general overview of the Park.
Tourists can learn more about the Park through multi-media DVD, and surfing through the Internet.
Various publications of books, brochures and folding maps provide tourists with an in-depth view of the Park.
4. Park signs:
Various park signs (Interpretation signs, warning signs…etc.) are set along trails and in recreational areas.
For further information, please contact:
(Tel): 886-3-862-1100 ext 360, 810- 812, 801-806
- Make a reservation:
1. Reserving guide service: Please contact us two weeks in advance through e-mail, or by telephone or fax or online application. The outdoor English interpretation- guided tour application requires parties of 15~80 persons with your own transport and apply two weeks ahead and free of charge. For the online application, please click our website English> Online Applications> Booking> Outdoor Interpretation Booking Guidelines> Booking for reservations.
2. For interpretation service in exhibition halls and for multi-media shows, please call to reserve before your arrival.
3. We will ensure a prompt reply on the same day tourists make reservations.
The Section of Interpretation and Education is in charge of these activities.
For further information, please contact:
(Tel): 886-3-862-1100 ext 360, 811, 801-806
- Distances between Tourist Spots:
Outside of the park:
•Taroko → 26km (Hwy. No. 9) → Hualien → 15km (Hwy. No.9) → Liyu Lake (Carp Lake) → 36.4km (Hwy. No. 9) → Guangfu → 20.5km (Hwy. No. 9) → Ruisui → 6.4km (Hwy. No. 9) → Wuhe → 18.1km (Hwy. No. 9) → Yuli → 7.1km (Hwy. No. 9) → Nan’An (Yushan National Park)
•Taroko → 26km (Hwy. No. 9) → Hualien → 15km (Hwy. No. 9) → Liyu Lake (Carp Lake) → 36.4km (Hwy. No. 9) → Guangfu → 20.5km (Hwy. No. 9) → Ruisui → 6.4km (Hwy. No. 9) → Wuhe → 18.1km (Hwy. No. 9) → Yuli → 83km (Hwy. No. 9) → Taitung
•Taroko → 26km (Hwy. No. 9) → Hualien → 14.3km (Hwy. No. 11) → Yenliao → 27km (Hwy. No. 11) → Jiqi → 25km (Hwy. No. 11) → Shitiping → 5km (Hwy. No. 11) → Changhong Bridge → 9km (Hwy. No. 11) → Baxian Cave → 34km (Hwy. No 11) → Sanxiantai → 34km (Hwy.No 11) → Taitung
•Taroko → 26km (Hwy. No. 9) → Hualien → 14.3km (Hwy. No. 11) → Yenliao → 27km (Hwy. No. 11) →Jiqi→ 25km (Hwy. No. 11) → Shitiping → 5km (Hwy. No. 11) → → 25km (Hua No. 64) → Ruisui
•Taroko → 88km (Hwy. No. 9) → Su’ao → 21km (Hwy. No.9) → Yilan → 82km (Hwy. No.9) → Xindian(Taipei) → Su-hua Highway
•Taroko → 88km (Hwy. No. 9) → Su’ao → 54.3km (Freeway No. 5) → Nanggang System (at km16.3 marker of Freeway No. 3) → Muzha → 5.1km → Xinhai Road, Taipei
•Dayuling → 29km (Hwy. No. 8) → Lishan → 46km (Hwy. No. 8) → Dongshi(Lishan to Dongshi is closed. PIease take Highway No. 14A from Dayuling to Puli, then change Freeway No. 6, from Puli then connect Freeway No. 3 to Taichung.)
Inside of the park:
•Taroko → 79km (Hwy. No. 8) → Dayuling
•Dayuling → 29km (Hwy. No. 8) → Lishan → 23.3km (Hwy. No. 7A) → Wuling Farm
•Dayuling → 9km (Hwy. No. 14A) → Mt. Hehuan → 25.5km (Hwy. No. 14A) → Qingjing Farm → 7.7km (Hwy. No. 14A) → Wushe → 11.4km (Hwy. No. 14A) → Lushan
•Dayuling → 9km (Hwy. No. 14A) → Mt. Hehuan → 25.5km (Hwy. No. 14A) → Qingjing Farm → 7.7km (Hwy. No. 14A) → Wushe → 23.6km (Hwy. No. 14A) → Puli → 12km (Hwy. No. 21) → Sun Moon Lake
•※(Hwy. No. 9)：Highway No. 9
- Tour suggestions for a two-day trip:
A. Hualien---Tianxiang (hiking on all trails)
Hualien---26km --- Taroko Visitor Center (Located at Taroko National Park Headquarters)---13km --- Qingshui Cliff---13km --- Taroko---9.5km --- Swallow Grotto Trail ---10.1km --- Baiyang Trail--- 6.2km --- The Tunnel of Nine Turns Trail (The must-see trail) (no bus and car parking available. Please transfer a public bus to get there)--- 43.6km --- Hualien (Overnight stay)
Hualien---28.5km --- Eternal Spring Shrine Trail---7.7km --- Buluowan Service Station---13km --- Tianxiang--- 2km --- Lushui Trail---20km --- Shakadang Trail--- 27km --- Hualien
Note: Falling rocks and landslides occur frequently in Hualien and Ylan after earthquakes or heavy rains. Please call for the latest road conditions and take necessary safety measures.
B. Ylan (Su’ao)---Hualien---Tianxiang---Return
Ylan (Su’ao)---70km --- Qingshui Cliff --- 10km--- Chongde Tunnel N. Opening---1km --- Chongde (Lunch)--- 3km --- Taroko Visitor Center (Located at Taroko National Park Headquarters)---1km --- Shakadang Trail--- 18km --- Tianxiang (Overnight stay)
Tianxiang--- 2km ---Lushui Trail--- 3.6km ---The Tunnel of Nine Turns Trail (1.4 km for a round trip) ---3.6km --- Swallow Grotto Trail(1.37km one way) --- 3.6km --- Buluowan Service Station (Lunch)---Return
C. Nantou (Puli)---Hualien---Ylan (Su’ao) Return
Kunyang (Provincial Highway No.14 A)---2km ---Wuling---1km --Mt. Hehuan Visitor Center(Dongshi Forest Bureau) --- 3.5km --- Mt. Hehuan Service Station---5.2km --- Dayuling---4.5km --- Guanyuan (Lunch)---11.1km --- Bilu Sacred Tree--- 4.3km --- Ci’en--- 9.2km --- Xinbaiyang---11.1km --- Luoshao---7.3km --- Xibao--- 8.5km --- Tianxiang (Overnight stay)
Tianxiang --- 0.7km --- Baiyang Trail--- 2km --- Lushui Trail--- 3.6km --- The Tunnel of Nine Turns Trai l (1.4km a round trip) ---3.9km --- Swallow Grotto Trail ---9.5 km --- Taroko Visitor Center (Located at Taroko National Park Headquarters)---Su-hua Highway (Huide Trail)---93km ---Return
Note: Falling rocks and landslides occur frequently in this area after earthquakes or heavy rains. Please call for the latest road and trail conditions and take necessary safety measures.
- The interpretation service system can be divided into interpretation activities and interpretation facilities.
(1)Inquiry Service: Provides questions & answers and other services at the Visitor Center, and at each service center.
(2)Interpretation and Guidance Service: Interpretation consultation and guidance services in the tourism and information halls and exhibition rooms.
(3)Interpreter Service: Interpretation and guidance services provided by an interpreter according to the tour routes.
Make an appointment for interpretation online: Online Applications
(1)Exhibition Room: Exhibition rooms in the Taroko Visitor Center, Buluowan and Lyushui, Tiansiang, Bilu Sacred Tree, and Mt. Hehuan service centers display pictures, text, photographs and plant or animal samples to give an elementary understanding of the national park.
(2)Audio/Visual Services: Multimedia, video, DVD, Internet, online audio and video on demand to allow visitors to understand the national park.
(3)Publications: There are a variety of publications such as books, journals, booklets, pamphlets and souvenirs for in-depth understanding of the Park.
(4)Interpreting Signs: there are a variety of interpreting signs and warning signs on the trails and at scenic spots depending on various conditions.
(5)Self-guided Trails: Take a trip to each scenic spot according to the signs, instructions and other information materials
(03)8621100 ext 801- 806 or 810-812
(1) Guidance: At least 15 - 80 people are required and required to have your own transportation; with free of charge; Make a reservation by e-mail, Internet, Fax or phone or online application two weeks in advance. Online Reservation:
(2) Briefing and guided tour of the exhibition hall should be reserved two weeks in advance or at least one full day before the tour (by phone).
(3)Applications for the interpretation and guidance services described above can be dealt with and replied to on the same day.
2. Main Organizer:
Interpretation and Education Section
3. Inquiries Service:
(03)8621100 ext 801 - 806 or 360, 812
4.Service Fees: Free of charge.
- 1.Types of Information Materials:
• Taroko National Park general pamphlet (Chinese/English/Japanese/Korean)
• Buluowan Recreation Area pamphlet (Chinese/English)
• Su-hua Coast pamphlet(Chinese/English)
• Mt. Hehuan Snow Season pamphlet
2.Where to get them:
• Direct: Free pamphlets can be picked up at the Taroko Visitor Center, and the Buluowan, Lushui, Tianxiang or Mt. Hehuan service centers or download it from our English website.
• Request by phone or mail: Free copies of pamphlets can be requested by phone or post. Please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope.
• Request by letter: Free materials can be requested by letter from organizations such as schools, libraries according their needs.
• Purchase: You can purchase detailed interpretation materials from the shop (leased by Taroko National Park Headquarters) or call (03)8621100 ext 850, or purchase a variety of publications or souvenirs by postal deposit.
(03)8621100 ext 803 or ext 810, 812 Fax: (03)8621263